- Kerrville Oktoberfest — Arcadia Live, 6:30 p.m. Information: https://www.thearcadialive.org/show/arcadia-oktoberfest/ The details: Expect food vendors, a stein-holding competition, local Oktoberfest brews, and a best-dressed contest. Live music by Brave Combo — a Texas-based quintet with world music mixes salsa, polka, merengue, rock, cumbia, conjunto, zydeco, classical cha-cha, the blues, and more.
The performing arts
- The Legend of Sleep Hollow — Hill Country Arts Foundation and Point Theatre, 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2:30 p.m. on Sunday through Oct. 23. Information: https://www.hcaf.com The details: Held in the Elizabeth Huth Coats Indoor Theater, it begins when Ichabod Crane, a slightly goofy schoolmaster, comes to the farming community of Sleepy Hollow with all his worldly possessions. He's looking for a good life and a wealthy wife who will supply it. Once he sets eyes on the local beauty, Katrina Van Tassel, he's sure his dream will come true. Unhappily for Ichabod, Katrina has a boyfriend… the boisterous Brom Bones. At a party, Ichabod proposes marriage to Katrina, but is booted out by Brom and forced to make his way home through a terrible storm. In the dark, there's something shadowy and towering intent on taking Ichabod's life — the Headless Horseman! Poor Ichabod has to outrun the galloping phantom! Does he? No one knows for sure because the schoolmaster is never seen again.
- Learn to Belly Dance — Kerr Arts and Cultural Center, 6 p.m. Information: 830-895-2911 The details: $10 per class, or a comparable trade e.g., art, jewelry, wine or even shiny pebbles, because the teacher, a.k.a Lorien, is part crow and loves shiny things! Bring a yoga mat, a bottle of water and a friend! Come Shimmy with us!
- Oktoberfisch — Hill Country Youth Event Center, Noon and runs through Sunday. Information: https://thcff.org/event-4842487 The details: Top regional fly casting and fly tying instructors, professional guides, and outfitters come together in a weekend learning event celebrating fly fishing. Event-goers of all levels, beginner or expert, attend hands-on learning from pro-level fly fishing experts and authors. Everyone will make friends and learn something new at Oktoberfisch 2022.
- Lyla Moura — Arcadia Live, 5 p.m. Information: https://www.thearcadialive.org The details: Come enjoy Arcadia Live's back deck and enjoy the sounds of Uklyla — Lyla Moura.
- Dave Kemp — Cafe at the Ridge, 6 p.m. Information: https://www.shopsattheridge.com
- The Reefs — Southern Sky Music Cafe, 6:30 p.m. Information: https://www.southernskymusiccafe.com
- Clint Alford and Owen Tiner — Trailhead Beer Garden at Schreiner University, 7:30 p.m. Information: https://www.trailheadbeergarden.com The details: Based in the small town of Rusk, Texas, Clint Alford began songwriting at the young age of 19. Over the next few years, he tried perfecting his songwriter ability and was constantly searching for his own distinct and unique sound. Following years of experience performing on numerous stages and at events, he has also lent his musical talent to many different recordings. He has had studio projects of many different styles of music and has been making a name for himself in the Texas music scene since the early 2000s.
Science and nature
- Star Party — Schreiner University's Loftis Family Science Center, 7:30 p.m. Information: 830-792-7249 The details: Participants will be able to view celestial objects in the Hill Country sky in the domed observatory containing Schreiner's 16-inch telescope. Several eight-inch telescopes will also be available for public viewing. Free parking is available adjacent to the center. The entrance gate is along East Main Street across from the Schreiner University baseball and softball fields and is marked by a flagpole. The star party will generally go till about midnight, and participants may come and go at any time.
Saturday, Oct. 21, 2022
- The Kerrville Mountain Bike Festival — Kerrville-Schreiner Park, 1 p.m. Information: https://www.kerrvillemountainbikefestival.com The details: In addition to hosting the mountain bike cross country events, The Kerrville Mountain Bike Festival brings a full weekend of activities. The race is committed to appealing to families and a wide variety of outdoor adventure participants.
Festivals and fundraisers
- Fall Festivals — Glory Community Garden, 11 a.m. Information: 804-514-7145 The details: Celebrate the harvest season at Glory Community Garden! Free lunch, fun, games, and community partner exhibits. Kerrville Pets Alive! will be onsite to do free microchipping.
- Barktober — Blue Oak Trading Co., noon. Information: (830) 315-2583 The details: Dog costume contest. Bring your fur baby in a costume and enter the contest to win great prizes. We will have live music, face painting, pumpkin decorating, beer and wine, and food trucks. The entire outdoor area will become a doggy park so everyone can run around and socialize.
- Pints and Polios — Trailhead Beer Garden, 3 p.m. Information: 830-315-5433 The details: Rotary Club of Kerrville is hosting the 2022 Pints for Polio.
- Dinner with the Stars: 2022 Macabre Masquerade, 6 p.m. Information: https://caillouxperformingarts.com/ The details: The Cailloux's "Dinner with the Stars" 2022 fFundraising gala. For more than 10 years, the Playhouse 2000 "Dinner with the Stars" Gala has offered the most fun fundraiser in the Hill Country. This year's DWTS, is hosted by honorary chairs George and Judy Eychner, and we'll be celebrating Halloween a week early with "Nightmare at the Cailloux: A Macabre Masquerade."
- KACC Exhibits — Kerr Arts and Cultural Center, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Information: https://www.kacckerrville.com The details: Three art exhibits. "Artwork by Phyllis & Doug Garey," "Kerrville Art Club Member Show," local artist exhibition and art sale, and "Quilts and Other Art Forms," local quilters exhibit.
- 39th Annual Western Art Show and Sale — Museum of Western Art, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Information: https://www.musuemofwesternart.com The details: The Exhibition and sale will bring together more than 40 top Western Artists presenting more than 100 original works of Western Art.
- Seeing Blue — Hill Country Arts Foundation, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Information: The details: The HCAF juried art show.
- Greg Wall — Cafe at the Ridge, 6 p.m. Information: https://www.shopsattheridge.com
- Ryan Lindsay — Southern Sky Music Cafe, 6:30 p.m. Information: https://www.southernskymusiccafe.com
- Buffalo Gals — Trailhead Beer Garden at Schreiner University, 7 p.m. Information: https://www.trailheadbeergarden.com The details: The Buffalo Gals are an old-school country and folk duo consisting of Melissa Carper (guitar, banjo, and bass) and Rebecca Patek (fiddle and guitar) formed in Austin.
- Kerrville Open Pro Rodeo — Hill Country Youth Event Center, 8 p.m. Information: https://www.lmrodeo.com The details: Lester Meier Rodeo Company presents Kerrville Open Pro Rodeo. Rodeo events include bull riding, bareback & saddle bronc riding, ladies barrel racing, calf roping, team roping, mini bull and mini bareback riding, and drill team performing nightly.