Coming this week is a slew of Christmas-themed events, including the return of the beloved Downtown Kerrville Christmas Church Walk on Tuesday.
The church walk involves pastors and congregations from all over Kerr County, but what makes it unique is you see different pastors preaching at churches that are not their home chapel. Starting at Notre Dame Catholic Church, the participants spend about 20 minutes at each location. From Notre Dame, participants travel across Main Street to St. Peters Episcopal Church. From there, they head to First Assembly of God, First Presbyterian, and ultimately to First Baptist.
It’s a unique opportunity to visit different churches at Christmas. Here’s a look at the schedule:
- 5:30- 5:50 p.m., Notre Dame Catholic – Water St. (Mike Cave, Commission to Every Nation);
- 6–6:20 p.m., St. Peter’s Episcopal, Main and Tivy (Rev. Billy Crain, Pastor of Christ Church Presbyterian);
- 6:30–6:50 p.m., First Assembly of God, Washington St. and Jefferson St. (Ryan Huff, Pastor of Real Life Fellowship);
- 7-7:20 p.m., First Presbyterian, Washington Street and Jefferson Street (Rev. Bert Baetz, Rector at St. Peter’s);
- 7:30–7:50 p.m., First Baptist, Washington St. at Barnett St. (Rev. Dr. John Uhl, Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church)
- 8-8:30 p.m. – Refreshments and fellowship hosted by First Baptist.
And here’s all of the Christmas-specific events this week
- Schreiner Mansion Holiday Tour — Schreiner Mansion,226 Earl Garrett St. Information: Katharine Boyette (830) 895-5222 The details: Completed in 1897, the mansion was the residence of the Capt. Charles Schreiner family. Designed by Alfred Giles, the mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours begin on the half-hour with the last tour at 1:30 p.m. Following the tour, the guests receive homemade cookies and wassail. There will be a sleigh in the courtyard with an opportunity for photos. Tickets are available at the door, $15 for adults, $5 for students, and free for children aged eight and under.
- An Arcadia Holiday — Arcadia Live, 6 p.m. Information: https://www.thearcadialive.org The details: The Classical Ballet School presents: “An Arcadia Holiday.” Kick off the holiday and giving season this December with some live music by Big Seed artists, followed by a shortened version of “The Nutcracker” produced by the Classical Ballet School. All money raised in this event will go towards our educational funds, allowing us to continue to offer our stage to local student artists, schools, educational programs, plays, and more.
- A Christmas Carol — Hill Country Arts Foundation, 7:30 p.m. Information: https://www.hcaf.com/2022-theatre-season/ The details: A Christmas Carol recounts the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, an elderly miser who is visited by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come. After their visits, Scrooge is transformed into a kinder, gentler man.
- Christmas at the Ridge — The Ridge Marketplace, 3-6 p.m. Information: https://www.shopsattheridge.com The details: Come out to this family-friendly holiday event. Festivities include a hot chocolate bar, petting zoo and pony rides, crafts, ornament making, letters to Santa, making S’mores, and much more. Get your pictures with Santa and his elves.
- Snow on the Island — Tranquility Island at Louise Hays Park, 5 p.m. Information: https://www.kerrvilletx.gov/1665/Light-the-Island The details: A great location for families and friends to celebrate the holiday season, make new traditions and family memories.
- Santa Clause Movie Night — Zion Lutheran Church, 6:30 p.m. Information: https://www.zionkerrville.org
- Gingerbread House Decorating — Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library, 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Information: https://www.bhmlibrary.org The details: The Ninth Annual Gingerbread House Decorating event. The library will supply the gingerbread house and all the sweets to decorate it. Just bring your creativity.