This page cannot be accessed with Reader Mode turned on.

Uvalde school shooting leaves 18 children, 3 adults dead

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott confirmed the shooter is dead.


A shooter walked into Uvalde's Robb Elementary School just after noon and shot and killed at least 18 students, a teacher and two others on Tuesday.

"He shot and killed, horrifically and incomprehensibly, 14 students and killed a teacher," confirmed Texas Gov. Greg Abbott. The shooter is believed to be an 18-year-old man who entered the elementary school at 11:32 a.m. Abbott's comments came before four other children were declared dead.


Abbott said responding officers shot and killed the 18-year-old suspect, a resident of Uvalde. Abbott said the suspect shot and killed his grandmother before heading to the school.

Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Police Chief Pete Arredondo said the shooter acted alone. Arredondo said the crime scene was still being worked on. The school district only said there were several injuries, and did not elaborate during a media statement.

Uvalde Medical Center said in a Tweet that 13 children were taken to the hospital via ambulance or bus, and two arrived at the hospital dead. Two other children were taken to San Antonio's Memorial Hospital.

A source provided The Lead with an email saying Uvalde mortuaries are expecting 16 fatalities from the shooting.

Kerrville Police and the Kerr County Sheriff's office said they had not been asked to provide support to Uvalde. San Antonio Police and the Bexar County Sheriff's Office have confirmed sending resources to Uvalde.

The Kerrville Fire Department sent an ambulance and paramedic crew to the scene.

With 576 students, Robb Elementary is for second through fourth-grade students and is led by Principal Mandy Guttierez. The school is 89% Hispanic.

The last day of school is Thursday.

See @CBSNews's post on Twitter.

See @Uvalde_CISD's post on Twitter.

Uvalde Memorial Hospital
May 24, 2022 ·

2:47PM UPDATE: UMH received 13 children via ambulance or buses for treatment. Two children have been transferred to San Antonio and one child is pending transfer.

Two individuals that arrived at UMH were deceased. No details are available.

Please refrain from coming to the hospital at this time.

See @SATXPolice's post on Twitter.


This site uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Scroll to Top