Kerrville to skip election for second straight year as all races go uncontested
The move marks an unprecedented period for the city, after decades of sometimes contentious, frequently competitive races. The City Council will likely approve the cancellation of the election next week.
When no one filed to run as a write-in candidate on Tuesday afternoon, the city of Kerrville will cancel its 2026 municipal election — for a second consecutive year.
The move marks an unprecedented period for the city, after decades of sometimes contentious, frequently competitive races. The City Council will likely approve the cancellation of the election next week.
The formal ballot filing period closed Friday with no challengers to Mayor Joe Herring Jr. or Place 3 Councilmember Kent McKinney. Crystal Smith will automatically win the Place 4 seat, as no one filed to oppose her candidacy for the May 2 election.
“I am thankful for the opportunity to continue working with a great city council, in partnership with a talented and dedicated city staff,” said Herring, who will serve his final term on the City Council in May of 2028. “We will do our best for Kerrville. Always.”
Smith, a member of the family that owns Billy Gene’s Restaurant, will replace Councilmember Brenda Hughes, who is leaving the council after serving the maximum three consecutive terms allowed under city rules.
“I am honored to be unopposed and thankful for the trust of our community,” Smith said. “I look forward to the opportunity to serve alongside the other Councilmembers, and am committed to working hard for our beautiful city.”
Smith is active in Republican politics but has never held elected office. Herring helped recruit Smith to run for the City Council.
“I also look forward to serving with Crystal Smith, and I’m thankful she’s willing to serve our community,” Herring said.
The uncontested races represent a dramatic shift for Kerrville, which for years saw competitive campaigns for council seats. Last year marked the first time in decades that the city didn’t hold an election, when no one challenged incumbents Delayne Sigerman and Jeff Harris.
The cancellation will give incumbent Kent McKinney another term on the Council after an easy victory in 2024. The cancellation is expected to save the city about $14,000 in costs.

Comments (0)
There are no comments on this article.